Wednesday, October 10, 2018

just because they're badlands doesn't mean they have to be bad lands

I forgot how much I love the badlands, their multicolored geological history exposed by retreating glaciers, in oddly shaped mesas, chimneys, and cathedrals. I got an extra special treat today seeing them dusted by a light snow, sticking some places and not others. And a couple of trees with a perfect green-to-yellow gradient across them, the northern side being yellow.

The prairie dogs were so cute, too, barely visible by the naked human eye, even with my pretty decent eyesight, but the camera zoom caught them pretty well.

A sudden change in the weather was slightly unexpected (well, I learned yesterday that it would snow), but uneventful, and it made the badlands (and the areas leading up to them) all that much more beautiful. An unseasonably early, but light, snow accented the hills, trees, grasses, cows, and other geological features in a pleasant way!

No comments:

Post a Comment